Founded in 2006, Devoción has made its name by sourcing a diverse selection of beans from small producers, often in difficult-to-reach parts of the country. The company now works with about 400 local farms and offers over 30 types of coffee from across Colombia. They develop long-term relationships with coffee growers, paying fair-trade prices and above, while establishing social and environmental programs to help secure their future. All their beans are dry-milled in Bogota, and rapidly shipped to the USA via FedEx for roasting, guaranteeing newly-roasted, ultra-fresh coffee.
Devocion is hiring for an educator position with requirements of weekend bar shifts. Responsibilities include working weekend shifts at Devoción Retail locations (Saturday shifts are a must), leading public cuppings and/or tastings, attending and working events as a Devoción Quality Control Representative, visiting wholesale partners and assessing the current quality climate, and conducting training sessions & educating baristas on proper bar flow management, drink construction and general coffee knowledge.
- 3+ years experience in specialty coffee/third wave environment, specifically in high-volume service settings
- Latte Art skills required
- Preferable experience in Education, leading training classes and public cupping experience
- Exemplary customer service and public speaking skills
- Ability to perform in high pressure situations and troubleshoot technical issues
- Some technical background experience in programming brewing equipment, machine operations as well as basic preventative maintenance.
- General background knowledge of coffee from origin to cup
- Friendly and personable attitude with the ability to communicate effectively
- Comfort in working behind the retail bar at any Devoción retail location
- Ability to travel in and out of New York State to conduct on-site training sessions
- Weekend availability (must work at least one weekend day)
Salary based on experience