Empire Cake brings the best in American baking with a gourmet twist. Everything served at Empire Cake is made fresh daily on the premises using the finest ingredients, including fresh butter and cream from quality local producers, pure whole vanilla beans, Belgian chocolate, and fresh seasonal produce from the Union Square Greenmarket. They also proudly serve gourmet coffee from Stumptown and organic whole leaf teas from Two Leaves and A Bud.
Empire Cake is looking for an experienced Head Barista/Counterperson to join their friendly team. This is a full-time position, early mornings Monday to Friday (open for business at 7:30am). The Head Barista helps provide many of the coffee drinks to regular weekday coffee customers, while also advising/training the other baristas, interfacing with the coffee vendor (Stumptown), and ensuring the overall quality of Empire Cake's coffee program.
- Barista skills:
Empire cake features a Marzocco manual espresso machine and manually-adjusted grinders, and they prefer that candidates have experience with both (NOT just with automatic machines and grinders)
- Counter experience:
This position involves serving baked goods to customers and taking cake & other orders
- Great communication skills and a pleasant phone manner:
This position is the front line for talking with customers in store and on the phone to answer questions about cakes, take orders, etc.
- A patient and friendly attitude with customers, even demanding ones
- Good judgment and common sense, and an ability to remain calm under pressure, thrive in a busy environment, and multitask
- A love of coffee and baked goods
- A willingness to pitch in and do what needs to be done and learn about Empire's cakes and decoration process
- An ability to work with a team and a good sense of humor
- Schedule: early mornings Monday to Friday (open for business at 7:30am)
Salary based on experience