Hewn, an independently owned artisan bakery in Evanston, Illinois, is hiring experienced baristas to join their growing team. Why the name Hewn? It all started on the coast of Maine in an 18th century house, while Ellen, the owner, was taking a course on Historic Preservation through the Society for the Preservation of New England Antiquities. The project involved dating parts of a house by examining the building techniques. One way to date a structure is to look at the beams and determine if they were hand-hewn or cut with a saw. Making bread is an ancient craft that relies on the hands of the baker. The word hewn is a way to connect the past with the future. Everything at Hewn is made in-house, from scratch daily. They source local and seasonal ingredients from small, local farmers when their flavors are at their peak.
Hewn is looking for an experienced Barista to join their team. The person hired for this position is expected to: handle customer service in a friendly and professional manner, help contribute to a professional, friendly, efficient work environment, make outstanding coffee for our customers, complete all front of house duties including coffee, register, packaging product, cleaning, etc.. Weekend mornings and weekday afternoon availability is a must!
- 1+ years of experience in the specialty coffee industry required
- A love of coffee, bread and artisan goods
- Exceptional communication skills both with colleagues and customers
- Ability to keep a calm, mature, professional demeanor in a busy environment
- Excellent time management skills and ability to self-direct when necessary
- A passion for small business and quality products
- Schedule: Weekend mornings and weekday afternoon availability is a must
Salary based on experience