River North, Chicago
Portsmith at the dana hotel and spa in River North is looking for a serious barista with experience on a semi-manual espresso machine as well as a solid background in food service preparation. Portsmith is looking to start training immediately. This is NOT an entry level position.The barista is the face of the restaurant in the morning to the hotel guests and neighbors alike. Directly responsible for the brew and sale of coffee, baristas have the opportunity to share each coffee’s unique story and flavor on behalf of growers and the entire Dark Matter Coffee Company.
Baristas should be able to recommend coffees based on guest preferences as well as their own favorites, and answer most questions about coffee. While reading and studying facts about coffee are important, there is a certain aspect of coffee knowledge that is only obtained by tasting different varieties or brews and noting the distinctions among them. You will also be selling a wide variety of baked goods from croissants and danishes, to cupcakes and other various pastries. You will be responsible for tasting all of the items and being able to describe them, in detail to guest; making suggesting and pairings when called upon.
- Must be able to properly uphold all proper food-safety and health standards
- Must be able to perform additional duties such as: answering the phone, taking to-go orders, replenishment of food and beverage supplies and maintaining a clean and organized work space.
- Must be able to work weekend shifts and some weekdays
- Must be able to start as early as 5:00 AM
- Must have Illinois Food Handler’s Certificate
Daily cash tips, medical and dental insurance available, 401K program, company discount card and more!