The Monkey & The Elephant is a non-profit coffee shop operating a transitional employment program for former foster youth. Former foster youth face barriers that challenge their long term success including high rates of homelessness, incarceration, unemployment and low education attainment. At The Monkey & The Elephant, they counter these barriers through employment at the cafe, support services and skill building experiences. These three areas of program delivery focus on providing our program participants the opportunity for growth in 5 key areas: employability, financial stability, housing stability, education and community engagement. Program participants fill the role of Baristas at the cafe.
The Monkey & The Elephant is looking for a Shift Lead who will be responsible for directing and supporting Baristas on shift while providing quality and consistent product with efficient and friendly customer service. This position assists the Manager with duties as needed and contributes to maintaining a positive café environment. A reliable, consistent, enthusiastic and team-oriented person is ideal for this position.
The role consists of ensuring supplies and products are stocked and ready to be served, performing all opening, shift change and closing procedures, as well as checking in and putting away deliveries as needed. The candidate should also complete daily, weekly, and ongoing cleaning tasks and any side work. Cashier/Register responsibilities include following all cash handling procedures correctly, and ringing up customers correctly and efficiently using a POS system.
Like The Monkey & The Elephant, applicants should be passionate about wanting to help give former foster youth an opportunity to develop their job readiness and life skills in a supportive community serving delicious coffee.
- 2+ years barista experience at a specialty coffee shop
- Experience working with young adults
- Ability to assist in training and developing Baristas through ongoing coaching
- Punctual - consistently arrives on time or early to shift as scheduled, ready to work
- Maintains a clean and organized work environment
- Communicates to Managers when things need fixing or products are low in stock
- Positively and respectfully communicates with coworkers and management
- Maintains a safe and healthy work environment by following all health and sanitation procedures
- Follows all shop policies and procedures as laid out in employee handbook and/or communicated by managers (calling out, dress
- Demonstrate professional behavior at all times and be a great role model
- Must positively represent the M&E community through great teamwork and friendly customer interactions
- Must be able to attend bi-weekly Monday all staff meetings (12pm-1pm)
- Must be available to work weekends
Salary is $11/Hour